06 September 2012

the REAL FOOD challenge

I was trying to think of a clever way to start this post. Apparently writing in the morning, before breakfast, isn't the best idea. So you're stuck with this. Besides, I'd really rather cut to the chase and tell you about my self-imposed challenge this month.

For a few months, I have been declaring running goals only to fail miserably by the end of the month because I hadn't run once. Well, ok, I ran once in August. For approximately 12 minutes. Far from my goal to increase my run time to 30 minutes. So instead of issuing yet another running goal, I turned to food. This is the month of real food. Originally I was calling it clean eating, but I'm vaguely aware of reading a clean eating menu once and it mainly consisted of grilled chicken and vegetables. While that sounds appealing for a meal, an entire month of it sounds horrible. So, real food it is.

My basic rule is this: if I could make it, I can eat it. That's not to say I have to. Take Triscuits for example. The box lists three ingredients: whole grain soft white winter wheat, soybean oil, and salt. I don't have a clue where to find whole grain soft white winter wheat, but as none of those words appear to be foreign, and I can pronounce them all, I deem it passable. If you'd like to dispute this, you can go ahead and try, but I'll probably tell you to make your own rules and break them, and leave mine alone. ;)

So far I've made everything I've eaten. Sort of. This is the part where I would normally insert photos. Unfortunately for you, the meals I prepared looked so delicious that I scarfed them down before I could remember to take a picture. Sorry. I will try to remember to snap some photos as the month goes on. For now, you'll have to make due with the images in your head. Also, I didn't start this challenge on September 1st. Boyfriend and I were in East Texas with my family, and I was not about to miss my aunt's pea salad (which is loaded with Miracle Whip), ramen noodle cole slaw, or the ranch dip for veggies. I started Monday, September 3. Officially, it will be a four week plus one day challenge. It's good enough, people.

What I've had so far:
Monday: coffee, grapes egg salad (made with greek yogurt instead of mayo), spicy shrimp pasta
Tuesday: coffee; boiled egg; apple; spicy shrimp pasta and salad; roasted chicken with green beans, green chile mashed potatoes, and corn on the cob
Wednesday: coffee; boiled egg; apple; roasted chicken with green chile mashed potatoes and corn on the cob; nachos made with blue corn tortilla chips, cheese, black beans, green onions, tomatoes, and shredded chicken.

I've just realized that while the ingredients on the chips pass, they break my other rule of no fried foods. Hmmm. Well, I forgot, okay? So sue me.

For accountability purposes (and let's face it, so I don't forget again) here are the rules enumerated:

1. Fresh food (easily found by sticking to the perimeter of the grocery store)
2. If it comes in a package I have to be able to identify the ingredients and they cannot include: enriched, hydrogenated, or high fructose corn syrup.
3. No fried foods

I basically eliminated fast food, sodas, and "easy" snacks, which had become a regular part of my diet. It doesn't sound too difficult, but I've already cheated at least once. Hah! Wish me luck.

ps: I also remembered to take all my reusable grocery bags when I went to the store, so I got an extra pat on the back.

No comments: