15 September 2012

real food confession #2

I cheated big time. On purpose. And I do not regret it one bit. So there.

Last night, my friend Sarah, who I affectionately call Care Bear and sometimes refer to as Soulmate Sarah (because she is), and her boyfriend Taylor came over for movie night. Traditionally our movie nights are chock full of junk food and we PIG OUT. It's so much easier to do in your own home without the shame of carrying five boxes of candy, popcorn, hot dogs, and sodas past snickering movie-goers. Ok so the snickering may be a part of my imagination. Movie night at home brings welcome freedom where we can eat an entire bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos dipped in bean dip. We can shove handfuls of Sour Patches, Reese's Pieces, and gummy bears in our mouths. I can open the ice cream I bought to follow my rules and pour Reese's Pieces in the carton and eat it straight out of the pint, with no one to shame me except for Boyfriend who is too busy scarfing sour licorice to notice.

Mind you, I actually prepared for movie night with a boat load of real food. I did start out on the right foot. (I accidentally typed food there first...) We had roasted chicken, quinoa, hominy, and green beans. I bought ice cream that follows my rules (Haggen Dazs, people) in hopes of staying away from the boxes of candy I knew Sarah would have with her. But then she surprised me with the Nacho Cheese Doritos and bean dip. You guys. This is one of my favorite junk food pairings of all time. I blame Jennifer. She introduced me to the  duo in the fourth grade when we went to Corpus Christi with my family. We stopped at a gas station on the way, and that's what she bought for her road trip food. My life hasn't been the same since. Enter Sarah last night with what she knew to be one of my most beloved snacks. It was a sign. Divine intervention with the very clear message that we should of course continue to bond over junk food and silly movies. I obliged.
(Plus, I knew I was doomed when I noticed myself saving room for chips and dips while preparing my dinner plate)

So we ate. And ate. And ate. And ate. We also screamed A LOT. Sarah and I sat hugged up on the couch for 2 hours and watched Elizabeth Olsen become a terrified crying mess while locked in her own house and tormented by a creepy little girl and and some kind of swamp creature man. That movie scared the mess out of us. We loved it. The boys said they liked it too, but they never screamed so I don't know if I believe them.

Sarah and me at the Twilight marathon and Breaking Dawn: Part One midnight premiere. You better believe we had our fair share of food this day. 12 hours in the theater! It was so awesome.

No comments: