12 April 2011

[not] kitchen smitten

Hi. My name's Asia, and I'm obsessed with finding items for my house I'm not allowed to install.

It's sick, really. And you're probably thinking, doesn't that drive you batty? Surprisingly–no. I like to think of it as practice for when I get a real house. Plus, while compiling things I'm not allowed to have, I usually find other elements I can throw into the mix without breaking any rental rules. [sidenote: I'm currently distracted by John Prine singing Angel From Montgomery. Is it terrible that I would much rather listen to Bonnie Rait's rendition? Or my sister's? Probably the other way around?]

Back to the matter at hand, I'm currently crushing on a number of items for my kitchen (which needs a ton of work). And I'll just go ahead and say it. It's the worst space in our house. I'd hate it if I didn't love our house so much. It's a narrow galley kitchen that we use as the main entrance to our house because our door situation is wonky. This mean constantly nasty floors because of all the traffic; not to mention it's where everybody tends to gather and gets very cramped, very quickly. I hate dislike it very much.

Even so, I spend hours upon hours imaging the vibrant colors I'd splash on every paintable surface if given the chance. The fan I would replace the current light fixture with. And the counters I'd rip out quicker than you could blink! (and if we're talking reallys, I'd really love to switch around the cabinets and stove and knockout the doorway to the breakfast nook.) And even though I know none of this is possible while we remain renters, I do love to dream. And what better way to dream than download several pictures and photoshop them into one image?

This is my kitchen in it's current state (pardon the yellowishness of the second pic):
 
And several items I would add if I could.
I may try and add that cart in front of the window...but I'm already fighting for space in here. So, we'll see. But that sink?! Oh, givemeabreak! I love it. I would love love love to get some color on those walls...and tile the backsplash...and that fan. Especially that fan. It gets So. HOT. in there.

Oh, well.

I will just have to find other ways to fall in love with my kitchen.

No comments: