14 January 2011

NYC: checking in

I have officially walked and walked and walked for hours in NYC. Sadly, I have very little to show for it. I hiked 60-70 blocks, I think. Maybe a bit more? Either way, as much as I walked, I covered only a tiny little speck of Manhattan. Still great to get out and explore. People watch. Learn how to cross the street! Seriously, it's very intimidating. I mean, I know there's the little guy who lights up when it's your turn to cross (just like everywhere else) But people seem to cross the street whenever as long as no one is coming. That's all well and good...except for the intersections where there are essentially eight lanes of traffic (N/S/E/W are all separated by medians on the bigger streets) and someone is always turning, and honking, and confusing me! It's quite crazy.

When I got around to Little Italy I wandered into Landmark Diner for a California Omlette. So, so so good! It came with home fries and toast and was way too much food for one person! But it was perfect, all the same.

Back to the present. I am in GC's apartment, writing and watching/listening to General Hospital–relaxing before venturing back out in the cold. The ambient noise provided by all the big trucks, honking taxis, ambulance sirens and shouting pedestrians is actually quite...nice. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to live here.

No comments: